? 43 cats dead..A man was stopped speeding. He said he was taking cat to the vet. Where is PETA now ?...
An investigation of this mans' house, turned up 43 dead cats. As far as the media is concerned; it was only reported that day. No more hype; no sensationalism. No constant coverage.
But the the big question 'Where is PETA ?' I know...still hounding Micheal Vick and The Falcons. After MV was ordered to stay away from the team practice and is not allowed to play ,why did PETA go out there and continue to HARASS the team. Is it about the animals or Vick? I know , I am going to get smart remarks from those that can't give an intelligent answer,but that's okay. I still say if you're for animal rights be for animal rights. What's good for the goose :Is good for the gander.
Do you never watch the animal cop shows on Animal Planet? This sort of thing happens all the time--it's called 'animal hoarding' and is a form of mental illness.
I don't love PETA, by any means. I prefer groups like the Humane Society and the ASPCA (for the love of heaven, everyone, spay and neuter your pets!) But neither do I think I have the right to dictate the priorities of another organization, especially one with whom I already don't fully agree.
As for the Vick case -- he's high profile, and thus draws high profile reactions.
Typically PETA does not get involved in these type of cases (not even the dog fighting ones, at least not that I've seen in my area). It's normally the Humane Society and local law enforcement that gets involved. The only reason why PETA is involved with the Michael Vick case is because it's high profile.
What is Peta going to protest the one man in his jail cell. Those cats could have died naturally there is no law against not burying dead cats. It is very different than torturing animals and raising them to fight to the death. I think you are missing the point of PETA. Its to raise awarness, and the way you raise awarness is getting involved in large high profile instances. I am glad PETA stepped in, its going to give more pressure to make sure Vick doesnt get off because he is a wealthy celebrity.
Wow! Imagine if he hooked up with a crazy cat lady. PETA will probably start screaming about the need to spay and neuter the cat man and cat ladies pets.
Still it doesn't come close to the commercial multi-state dog fighting operation Vick was involved in.
I do not like or condone dog fighting, but 43 dead kitties makes me sick to my stomach. Then again, so do the politics of PETA.
This is exactly the reason I try to ignore PETA to the best of my ability. They should be doing harassing BOTH of these people, not just the high profile cases.
I'm editing this because I see someone has posted the article, but my opinion has not changed. The animals were obviously in poor condition (covered with urine and feces) and they deserve a LOCAL PETA organization's statement, not just that of the Humane Society.
Dead Cats Found After High-Speed Chase
Aug 1, 2007 08:29 AM EDT
DALLAS - Authorities discovered dead cats in cold storage and dozens more animals living in filthy conditions Tuesday at the home of a man who led police on a high-speed chase and later claimed he was rushing his sick cat to the veterinarian.
Animal control officials and the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals of Texas found several dead cats inside a refrigerator and freezer during a search of Ron Teague's home. The dead cats were found rolled inside towels and many had handwritten notes detailing when and where the animal was found dead, the SPCA of Texas said.
Workers also removed 11 dogs and 43 cats and kittens from Teague's home, which had feces and urine-soaked furniture, hundreds of empty cans of food and litter boxes full of feces, the SPCA of Texas said in a statement.
Teague was jailed on a charge of evading detention following a chase through Dallas and neighboring suburbs Monday. The chase, carried live on several local TV stations, ended with the driver pulling over and officers tackling him. Teague's wife relinquished the animals to Dallas Animal Services, which transferred them to the SPCA of Texas.
The animals will be evaluated, spayed and neutered, vaccinated, implanted with microchips and made available for adoption, the SPCA of Texas said.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), with more than 1.6 million members and supporters, is the largest animal rights organization in the world.
PETA focuses its attention on the four areas in which the largest numbers of animals suffer the most intensely for the longest periods of time: on factory farms, in laboratories, in the clothing trade, and in the entertainment industry. We also work on a variety of other issues, including the cruel killing of beavers, birds and other 'pests,' and the abuse of backyard dogs.
PETA works through public education, cruelty investigations, research, animal rescue, legislation, special events, celebrity involvement, and protest campaigns.
PETA is, without a doubt, our own 100% American homegrown terrorist organization. Their tactics ('for the animals') are nearly identical to those used by al-Qaeda, the only difference being that while al-Qaeda kills other humans for shock tactics, PETA kills animals for their shock tactics.
1) PETA president and co-founder Ingrid Newkirk has described her group’s overall goal as “total animal liberation.” This means no meat, no milk, no zoos, no circuses, no wool, no leather, no hunting, no fishing, and no pets (not even seeing-eye dogs). PETA is also against all medical research that requires the use of animals.
2) Despite its constant moralizing about the “unethical” treatment of animals by restaurant owners, grocers, farmers, scientists, anglers, and countless other Americans, PETA has killed over 14,400 dogs and cats at its Norfolk, Virginia headquarters. During 2005, PETA put to death over 90 percent of the animals it collected from members of the public.
3) PETA has given tens of thousands of dollars to convicted arsonists and other violent criminals. This includes a 2001 donation of $1,500 to the North American Earth Liberation Front (ELF), an FBI-certified “domestic terrorist” group responsible for dozens of firebombs and death threats. During the 1990s, PETA paid $70,200 to an Animal Liberation Front (ALF) activist convicted of burning down a Michigan State University research laboratory. In his sentencing recommendation, a federal prosecutor implicated PETA president Ingrid Newkirk in that crime. And PETA vegetarian campaign coordinator Bruce Friedrich told an animal rights convention in 2001 that “blowing stuff up and smashing windows” is “a great way to bring about animal liberation.”
4) PETA activists regularly target children as young as six years old with anti-meat and anti-milk propaganda, often waiting outside their schools to intercept them as they walk to and from class-without notifying parents. One piece of kid-targeted PETA literature tells small children: “Your Mommy Kills Animals!” PETA brags that its messages reach over 2 million children every year, including thousands reached by e-mail without the permission of their parents. One PETA vice president told the Fox News Channel’s audience: “Our campaigns are always geared towards children, and they always will be.”
5) PETA has used a related organization, the PETA Foundation, to fund the misnamed Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), a deceptive animal rights group that promotes itself as an unbiased source of medical and nutritional information. PCRM's president also serves as president of the PETA Foundation.
6) PETA runs campaigns seemingly calculated to offend religious believers. One entire PETA website is devoted to the claim-despite ample evidence to the contrary-that Jesus Christ was a vegetarian. PETA holds protests at houses of worship, even suing one church that tried to protect its members from Sunday-morning harassment. Its billboards taunt Christians with the message that hogs “died for their sins.” PETA insists, contrary to centuries of rabbinical teaching, that the Jewish ritual of kosher slaughter shouldn't be allowed. And its infamous “Holocaust on Your Plate” campaign crassly compares the Jewish victims of Nazi genocide with farm animals.
7) PETA has repeatedly attacked research foundations like the March of Dimes, the Pediatric AIDS Foundation, and the American Cancer Society, because they support animal-based research that might uncover cures for birth defects and life-threatening diseases. PETA president Ingrid Newkirk has said that “even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we would be against it.”
PETA is mostly involved with cases of 'high profile' and is levered primarily to that level of response !
The lack of the 'localized' event you have brought to our attention here being published with more vigor is more the fault of your local media and the lack of concern of public awareness of such things by your local Humane Society and ASPCA !!
The attitudes OF PETA and their actions in a lot of cases are more than somewhat questionable to say the least ! And, if they are 'at' team members and team 'associates' in the M Vick case -- they are out of bounds !! They simply get 'carried away' on certain things and it takes major margin FROM what they are trying to get done !!
Thing here is --- the goose in the first case is a simple nobody who probably hasn't affected anyone on any level nor will -- in his entire life !!
And, in the Vick case (the gander) -- He has been placed on a pedestal and revered by thousands as a role model and example of success and admiration !! So, therefore the fall from grace is going to be a load farther for him and the price to pay MUCH steeper !